Twinning with Beyoncé: The Lowdown on Expecting Multiples in Your 30s
Ring the alarm – Beyoncé is pregnant – with twins. Social media exploded on Wednesday afternoon when the singer, song writer and actress announced the news on her Instagram page. Beyoncé Knowles-Carter and her husband, Sean Carter, aka Jay Z, are already parents to five-year-old, Blue Ivy.
As a 35-year-old mother-to-be, Knowles-Carter falls into a category defined as “advanced maternal age.” This means that compared to younger expectant mothers, her age puts her at greater risk for some potential complications of pregnancy. Some increased risks include a higher risk for miscarriage and/or birth defects. Complications of pregnancy experienced by older moms may include high blood pressure, gestational diabetes, preterm labor, difficult labor and a higher risk of multiples.
Beyoncé is hardly a single lady in this boat. In the United States, birth rates for women in their 30s are at the highest levels in four decades and the multiple birth rate is also rising. According to the National Center for Health Statistics:
- Twin birth rate has risen more than 70% since 1980. It is currently 32.6 per 1,000 live births.
- Women who have had one or more previous pregnancy, especially a multiple pregnancy, are more likely to have multiples.
- African-American women are more likely to have twins than any other ethnicity.
Beyoncé, who has sold 17.2 million albums as a solo artist, is the epitome of the working mom, juggling a bustling career and parenthood. In August 2016, she walked the red carpet at the 2016 MTV Video Music Awards with her daughter at her side, proving she can do it all. If you’re a mom, or mom-to-be, on-the-go like Beyoncé, follow these tips to take care of your mind, body and spirit during pregnancy:
- Eat healthy food, drink plenty of water, and exercise regularly. Try breaking out your best dance moves to, Crazy In Love.
- Make time for you each day and to connect with friends for lunch, coffee or a phone call. Perhaps a viewing of the visual album, Lemonade, with your bestie?
- Indulge a little with a relaxing bubble bath or a date night with your partner. Jay Z has revealed that he and Beyoncé love to grab a slice together at their favorite Brooklyn pizzeria.
- Laugh every day! Seek out a funny joke, movie, book or story. Need a head start? Check out Beyoncé’s laugh, it’s infectious: